Smiley Movement logo

MacKenzie Scott donates two mansions

Words by Smiley Team

MacKenzie Scott, the ex-wife of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, has made a name for herself with her charitable giving. She’s pledged to give away most of her wealth to charities and those that need it. 

“I have a disproportionate amount of money to share,” Scott wrote in a 2019 letter. “My approach to philanthropy will continue to be thoughtful. It will take time and effort and care. But I won't wait. And I will keep at it until the safe is empty.”

To date, she’s given away more than $12 billion to over 1,200 different organizations, and now she’s given away two California mansions worth $55 million.

The mansions, located in Beverly Hills have been given to the non-profit California Community Foundation. The foundation said that 90% of the funds will go toward “affordable housing grant making,” and the other 10% will go towards an immigrant integration program.

“We applaud and are grateful to MacKenzie Scott’s extraordinary philanthropic investment in Los Angeles,” said CCF President & CEO Antonia Hernández. “Her singular commitment — here and across the country – to transformative philanthropy has already secured the long-term future of dozens of non-profits. With the California Community Foundation, her generosity will support organizations struggling to solve some of the most intractable issues facing our community. We are grateful for her partnership.”

The CCF plans on selling both properties and using the funds from those sales to support the organization’s affordable housing efforts as well as an integration program for migrants throughout Los Angeles.

Inspired to Act?

DONATE: The California Community Foundation accepts donations, consider donating if you want to support their affordable housing goals. 

SUPPORT: Similar to Mackenzie Scott, consider donating a bit if you have excess just to help support those in need. 


This article aligns with the following UN SDGs

You might also like…